Sunday, June 26, 2005

My Nieces and Nephews

Today, I just felt like giving you all a glimpse into my big family.

Since I was at the age of 7-8 years old, I was already an aunt to my niece who is 7 years younger than me. Till date, I have 9 nieces and nephews altogether, they range from as young as a 1 year old toddler to teenagers and young adults. I can’t say that I am exactly one generation away from them, although politically speaking, the fact is so. But i prefer to treat them more as friends.

I have witnessed their growth, the changes and different stages in their lives, their challenges, joy and even moments of failure. Even within the same family, brought up in more or less the same manner, siblings differ greatly in character, interest and personality. Each has dreams and potentials, displaying individual uniqueness, just like there are no two same thumbprints or two same snowflakes in the world.

Just to illustrate, one is shy, a good listener and very tender hearted, another is bubbly, sociable, has the ability to strike a conversation with almost anyone. One is lively, with great dreams and perseverance to succeed, another has the ability to lead and influence, but need to direct this gift in the right direction. One is brave and sporty, another has a flair in music and sports. One is always so huggable and lovable, everyone who knows him likes him, another is creative and imaginative. And one I have yet to see the gift, because he is still very young.


Growing up with them, I learnt quite a bit by observing and even interacting with them. Everyone of them is born to be a champion, everyone is the lead character in their own stories. I am thankful to God that I get to play a part in their life stories, and for putting them into the same family as me. Most of the times, they are really fun to be with, although there are moments when they may step on my toes. Guess this is what family is all about, you can’t get to choose them, but you know what? They are still one of the best gift from heaven!

No comments: