Thursday, June 23, 2005

Moving

Just a year ago I would not even think of buying a flat. Yet things changed along the way and it’s time to move on.

Knowing I am in the design field, many ask me what kind of “style” I would design for my own house. Frankly speaking, I am a purist in terms of design, and I prefer minimalist, using minimal objects to achieve maximum result. All white, possibly with white tiles or raw concrete for the floor, frosted and clear glass for all doors, kitchen cabinet in metal finish, just a few benches or cushions in place of sofa, do without bed, just a Queen size mattress, a good dvd system and a huge plasma TV will do.

However, this proves not to be the case when I begin to design for my own flat, which I am going to live in, perhaps for the next few years with my Mom and eldest brother. I realized I may not want to live in the above illustrated minimalist style after all.

Most designers would think that they are finally free when it comes to designing for their own houses. To be honest, it is not so for me, what I enjoy designing for others, is unlikely to be done in mine. Now, functionality and comfort triumph over beauty and uniqueness. Permanence or timelessness rides above style and the purist ideal.

So what then? I am going to stick by the good old functional design. Perhaps timber floor and laminated kitchen cabinet. (Actually cost also plays a huge part! Metal kitchen cabinet is too expensive and I also could not convince my Mom, after all, the kitchen belongs to her.) And definitely there will be sofa and beds. Actually it is not the furniture or style that matters, but the love and ties that exist in the home that makes everything beautiful.

There is perhaps only one thing I wish to change, which is impossible for now, that is the view out of the window. For my ideal home, I want to see a huge field and a mountain full of flowers just outside my room’s window (For sure, I will have that in my future mansion which my Best Friend has designed for me). Yet, for now, I guess I got to bear with looking into another neigbour’s flat across the block, or simply pull down my curtain. Or should I paint a wall with a field full of flowers instead?

No comments: