Sunday, June 05, 2005

Gift

I was very amused by a beautiful music that ran along the road when I visited Taiwan last year, thinking it was some ringtone until someone enlightened me that it was from the garbage truck to inform the public of its coming. Whoever thought of this is quite a genius. Do look out for the truck that makes music next time you visit Taiwan!

Why the mention of garbage truck? Because recently I have been thinking and observing, I found the greatest professionalism in the least or most unlikely places. My neighbourhood’s garbage truck makes its round about 8.15am every morning. Several mornings, I am greeted by the 3 polite garbage collectors that come to do their routine rounds, and I respect them for their attitude, be it rain or shine, they work hard, with a smile.

I still remembered many years ago, I visited a rural site in the north, the site chosen for a school project. There was a small farmland, in a rather picturesque setting. We met a farmer, and we were there at the moment when he was trying to catch a huge fish near a reservoir with his bare hands. Seeing us, he gave us the entire fish as a gift, for he seemed to have already enjoyed himself tremendously during the process of catching it.

This fragment of my memories remained in me, creating no small impact. It was then that suddenly I realized, everyone is gifted with ability or trained in one way or another, no one on this earth was born without a talent or ability. We each have a gift that if we take time to find out, we will soon discover it. And as long as we continue to pursue and use this ability, it is like an uncut raw diamond, we allow it to be cut and finally glow. In fact, this ability is usually something that you enjoy doing. Be it drawing, singing, cooking, solving a mathematics question, cracking a joke, etc, even when you felt it being insignificant, don’t despise it.

Many happy people are those who enjoy what they are doing, that their works are no longer works but a form of enjoyment. Don’t just merely live, but live everyday to the fullest! Be true to yourself, you have a God-given gift in you!

No comments: