Saturday, June 18, 2005

Father's Day

Many people around me asked me why I use lambs in most of the themes or main characters in my art and even used the nickname “little lamb” or “little sheep” for msn, and icq. (Hei those friends who call me “lamb chop”, you are too much! I will return your “evil” with good though!) I attempt to explain this on this special occasion, Father’s day.

“The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want”, a verse taken from psalm 23 in the bible, my dad’s favourite psalm. I used to read to him when he was alive, which partly explains why I can memorize this psalm and it has also become my favourite, one that I always find comfort and great hope in. In fact, if I would to trace it back, this psalm started my journey in drawing lambs. I remembered more than 5 years ago, my friends and I made a paper sculpture based on this psalm for someone we highly respect, that was my very first attempt.

Tomorrow is Father’s day. It seems like a long time since I last celebrated this day. Occasionally when I meditate on this psalm, I would think of my dad. As far as I could remember, I believe my dad loved me more than I loved him, in fact, I believe I am his favourite among all the children, being the youngest. He used to love carrying me around, fetch me to school, brought me to the 1st Macdonald in Parkway Parade for sundae, and also bought lots of toys for me, which I still keep till this day. I may also be the only child in the family that had travelled overseas with him and mom most.

Guess in the life of every growing teenager, there bounds to be a time when we dread going out with our parents, even feeling ashamed to be seen with them when we were with our friends. I was like that before. Yet, when you grow beyond that phase in life, you begin to realize this is one of the most precious gifts and relationships that God has bestowed upon us.

Somehow, love from our parents always seems to surpass our love for them. Their love is always sacrificial and unconditional, without expecting anything in return, and always wanting to provide for us so long as it is within their abilities and even at times beyond, throwing just a little light of how much our Papa in heaven loves us too! As for lambs, I think I will still draw them for a while till I find a better theme, as I would always be a beloved lamb in His sight
!

No comments: