Friday, February 24, 2006

TV Addict?

Suddenly, I have this funny image in my mind today, seeing a lamb forming part of a TV, seems very much like a self-portrait cum self-ridiculed. (Hope you take delight in the cartoon above and cheer up your day!) I am a TV addict, since a kid, though now the situation is getting better. It has improved simply because I am busier these days. In the past, I could simply just throw down everything, and rush home just to catch a show. But with the advancement of technology and the invention of dvd players, etc, now I can watch almost any show at my own pace (usually even faster than cableTV, I could even be 1 or 2 years ahead of time in terms of dramas I watched).

Why the sudden mention of this? I love to watch Korean dramas, but only those with great wonderful happy endings. (I don't usually know or read the synopsis, but I have a friend who is even faster than me, and she usually give me a hint of the endings.) And in fact, I have been wanting to explain why I like Korean dramas the most, as compared to Japanese, English, Taiwanese and even Hongkongers' dramas.

Most, sad to say, not all, Korean dramas are very family oriented, though the main themes of the story could be love or friendship. It exalts simple yet powerful values such as filial piety, friendship, faithfulness, perseverance, love, which used to be common themes in most Chinese dramas in the past. Yet, nothing beats a light hearted, hilarious drama that made you laugh till you cry!

I have watched countless number, and perhaps the most impactful, most lasting one would be the show "Fullhouse"! It was hilarious, and there was hardly any moment that allows boredom to crept in. As far as I could remember, I may have watched it 3 or 5 times, and I still enjoyed it.

Still, why the sudden mention of dramas? This is a pretty busy week for me, yet having make the resolution in the last journal, I am determined by His grace to keep to it. As a form of allowing my mind to rest, other than reading, is to watch a really cool, funny drama, and that was what I did for the past 2 weeks, after a long day at work. I had just finished the drama (Super Rookie), not that it is as good as "Fullhouse", but it is still a very good drama, the simplicity of the hero in the drama, someone always being regarded as an underdog, someone who does not seem to amount to anything due to his lack of qualification etc etc. Yet at every difficulties, he was able to come through the fire, with no smell of smoke, and yet at the same time, able to save and forgive those who hurt him in the process of the office rat race, climbing all over him. He became the most unlikely hero! The whole show put together 2 totally different personalities, one who is smart, intelligent, trying with all his might, by hook or by crook, trying his best to climb the corporate ladder, while the hero, simply by being himself, sincere, though not smart, almost by grace, won and overcome every obstacle that came across his path! I enjoyed the show, the childlikeness of the hero, perhaps, just as much as I love the show "Forrest Gump".

Yes, indeed, I am learning, to become a child again. Did I ever mention to you that I learn a lot and receive great revelations about life and most of all, about my Shepherd, from the dramas I watched?

No comments: