Saturday, June 03, 2006

Birthday 2006

Last Tuesday was my birthday. I am always pretty shy with this, in fact, I don’t really like to discuss this, as to how to celebrate, or what present I would want to receive, etc. And this explains why, I would give myself a little birthday gift, that is, a break on this day every year, hiding from colleagues, etc, by taking the day off from work, regardless of how rush my work in office is.

Almost without fail, a few days before the actual day, I would have a little celebration with my long-time childhood friend, since we shared almost the same birthday dates, just 2 days difference. Had a simple dinner, and after that we tired each other out by shopping for each other’s present. And on the previous Sunday, I had a nice cosy lunch with my dear church friends, having a wonderful time of chatting and catching up, almost having a recharging effect to me. That was really cool! And back to the office on the Monday, a little cake-candle blowing session was organized by a few close colleagues, and courtesy of the sponsorship of a cake by my absentee boss, I think the secretary has a part to play in it more, still, a great thank you to all.

Yet nothing beats celebrating with my family. On the actual day, I brought 4 of my niece and nephews out for a lunch at a Chinese restaurant, with my mom, simple as it is, but the fun of hanging around with them was unspeakable. Bringing them around for shopping, having a cup of ice cream each, and finished off the day watching TV programme together, when was the last time we did something such as this? It must have been a year ago, I pondered. How I missed such leisurely free time, no one to impress, nothing to rush, enjoying the luxury of “wasting” time.

And my birthday resolution? Now that I am almost fully convinced that by the end of this year, after having entered into my 7th working year, I have decided to take on a more laid back life, making plan to take a really long break, maybe 2 months. And indeed I think I must have started my plan subconsciously already, I actually went to the movies twice within a week! Despite the news of several more projects after I came back from my one day off, I hit the record high of having 7 projects on my list to do! This is a present I don’t really want, as it marks the fact that I have very little time for each project, and ended up delegating my projects to my assistants. (Yes, now I have quite a huge number of human resources.) This perhaps is one thing I am really not used to, as I have almost reached the extent of not having a chance to design anymore, but overseeing their work, writing emails, coordinating the various assistants so that there is no duplication etc, though I know I can handle such task of delegating well by the grace of God, yet I dislike the idea of doing this, as I enjoy the process of isolating myself, being alone with my Shepherd, poring over my design, seeking for little breakthrough and innovative solution. The truth is I am already beginning to feel deprived of this since the day I have more assistants… Guess I really like to be a loner designer, and most of all, to be given sufficient time to explore…

Sorry for the diverse train of thoughts, back to the main theme, thanks to all of you dear ones out there, family, friends and colleagues, thanks for all the treats, the several cakes I received, the watch, toys, books, accessories, etc, but most of all the gift of your precious time during this season, the most precious gift to me is the wonderful time we spent together. Thanks beloved ones! Thanks, thank God for you all!

No comments: