Wednesday, August 24, 2005

My Tired Legs


Wow, really surprised to see 3 comments on the blog about my eldest niece. Just to answer a few questions to those comments, I use water colors for some of the illustrations, but for the "sheep" series, i normally fall back on "photoshop". And Mei, as for a special blog for you, sure, if you are not afraid of me writing all those "scary" details I know about you?

Pardon my disappearance for the past few days. It was again one of those "serendipity" incident. I just came back from a "not planned" business-cum-study trip yesterday. (In fact, when was the last time where my business trip was not last minute?) The trip was only decided on Thursday at a meeting, when my boss became frustrated in failing to explain some buildings in Hongkong to my colleagues and I as all 3 of us had not seen most of them, that he decided to send us for a study trip. How our ignorance actually turn out to be a blessing, praise the Lord! (I was recently entertaining thoughts of going Hong Kong again for a short trip, and how it came to pass like that! Papa God is so good! This is what I mean by serendipity.)

It was a fruitful trip except there is a little disappointment. Fruitful in the sense that all of us enjoyed the trip and learnt quite a bit from what we saw, the layout, the interiors, the planning etc. This being the main agenda. Yet the little disappointment, besides the little time to shop, was my inability to use this opportunity to bond with my dear capable assistant. Despite the fact that we have been in a wonderful working partnership for the past 2 years (wonderful as in my own perception), I still regret to say there seems to be a wall between us, we could not really talk like good friends, although there is actually no gap, no hierarchy between us, we are equal, on the same standing, except that I have a few more years of experience than her, that's all. I always wonder, is it true that it is hard to develop a friendship out of such working relationship? Am I boring or difficult for her to talk to or relate to? Or is she too quiet? At times, I really wish she can talk to me more, and let me know her thoughts, instead of me trying to understand how she feels from her action and little speech if any, for I really hope to expose her to what she enjoys doing. But unless I know what she likes, I can only guess, isn't it? Yet I pray and know that Papa God will surely give me wisdom.

Anyway, just to give a few run throughs on the trip. Firstly, it was the walking. It has been a long time since the last time I walked so much! We have covered so much ground by walking, I believe if all these steps were added up, I may have walked from Jurong to Pasir Ris 3 times? However, the walk was still worthwhile, judging from what we saw and learnt in the process. It was a humbling journey for me, as the more I see and learn, the more I realise how little I knew. (I thank God for this reminder, only in Him, I am sufficient.)

Secondly, it was my pair of tired feet. I love and enjoy walking, and I can walk long distance. However, when compared to my last trip to Bangkok where I shop from early morning till late evening, I can't remember feeling as tired as how I felt for the past 2 days. In fact, presently my legs are still experiencing muscle ache, or was it due to my lack of exercise?

Finally, it was the shopping experience. This would be one of those rare occasions where I failed in my shopping, failing to get what I purpose to get, partly as there is truly very little time left for shopping, though we visited quite a few shopping areas. And also with a pair of tired feet, and little cash, shopping becomes a not so fun experience for me perhaps for the first time.

Yet, Overall, it is still a great trip, a good break from work, an eye opener, a time of increasing my limited architecture vocabulary, but a missed opportunity of bonding with my assistant. I am not sure if I would let my assistant read this, I doubt so, for I am very shy. Though I would use this opportunity to thank Papa God for her, for blessing me with a great co-worker, and my prayer for her would be that she too will come to know the depth, the width of Jesus' love for her. Thank you, my lovely assistant, Thank God for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a note of encouragement:

Papa God knows your heart and will create opportunities and favour for you to really appreciate your assistant... =P I believe you are as much a blessing to her as she has been to you, or if not, even greater as the Lord is with you!!! =D

nette