Sunday, August 14, 2005

B's Birthday!

Today is a day to celebrate, as it is my niece’s birthday. I dedicate today’s blog to her as a birthday gift for she is an ardent supporter of this blog. How to describe my relationship with her? I wouldn’t say we are the closest (though we are close), but I dare say I knew her, the longest, since the day she was born (besides her parents and grandparents). In fact I played a huge part in raising her up.
Soon after she was born, she stayed with us during the day, while her parents went to work. I would describe my relationship with her then as a “love-hate” one. Much that I liked playing with her, there were times, I really disliked her. Those vivid memories of the past! I would try to elaborate a few below.

Very often, I was “forced” to give my mom a hand to put my niece to bed. She was such a difficult baby, she would not sleep unless we moved the old grandmother’s cloth cradle up and down with a regular rhythm (one that uses a piece of cloth tied unto a spring to the ceiling). But now, how she sleeps, she really enjoys sleeping! I often find her sleeping in one of our beds whenever she comes round to visit us these days.

I still recalled the day when she took my music exercise book and tore it, thinking it was a toy! I got the shock of my life! For that very moment, I felt the whole sky has fallen and I was stuck underneath it, feeling that there was no more tomorrow for me.

And how she would fight with me over my food! Let me give a little explanation before I proceed to pour out my grievances then. During those good old days, there was no such thing or shop known as “Breadtalk”, we had to buy our daily supply of fresh bread from a “roti man” who would come round the estate from block to block, from floor to floor, carrying a carton of breads, knocking on doors to see if anyone would want to buy them. (A bit like the garung guni man these days.) My mom would always get me my favourite Chinese ham bread. My niece loved the bread too. Many times, after she had finished her fair share, she would secretly climb to the table and nibbled away my share, which I wanted to save till later! I remembered how badly I cried, so hard, so upset!

There were also several occasions that I got to feed her when my mom was busy. Not knowing anything about hygiene then, since I was also just a kid being only 7 years older than her, I would bite her food in my mouth and put it back unto the spoon to feed her. Now as I think about it, it is really quite terrible and scary. Sorry, forgive me, Niece, I know no better then. I did that so that I could quickly speed up the process of having to feed you.

As she grew older, I became her tuition teacher, for Mathematics and Sciences. How I must have shouted at her countless times when she could not answer those terrible ten years series. During that period of time, I think she was quite fearful of me, because truly, I was a very stern, strict teacher. Not sure if I did help her through her studies though.

Yet today, she is already a grownup, in her early twenties. How time flies! From a saliva-dripping baby, to one who is now a kind, discerning lady. From a crying baby to one who now brings comfort to troubled kids. Even now as I bring you to walk along memory lane with me, how things had changed and how she has been transformed daily by Papa God to a fine person, from glory to glory. B, surely Jesus will give you the desire of your heart! Aza aza fighting! And a very blessed birthday to you and many more to come!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear Ah yi...

reading your blog really made me laugh and cry... haha thank God He has transformed both of us and we are no longer fighting... =P hehe... really touched that you dedicated a blog just for me... your other friends and nieces must be super jealous! haha...

you have been a great wise mentor to me all these years and you played a big part in helping me become who i am today (besides Jesus, of course!)...

love ya! muacks! =D

Anonymous said...

Hi
I was introduced to your website by your B. :) I am actually her colleague and she used one of your pictures for her msn messenger. I was pretty interested in the pictures you drew/paint. She got me to read this article today and gosh I didnt know she was that naughty. :) She looks so mild and gently. Hmmm!! Well, just want to say your pictures and some of your blogs are pretty interesting. Can I check, do you use water colours or magic markers cos I ask your B and she has no idea.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ah yi,

I always told you were not serious in e part of her having yr saliva.. and that u always says that she has inherited your smartness coz she ate yr saliva b4.. now den i realise it is not a joke.. haha.. Nevertheless, it was really v.touching reading your blog.. I did not noe so many things u n ah B shared since e day she was born like the cheese ham bread? But she is not a greedy person leh..

So, will I b expecing a blog on my bdae as well, my dear ah yi.. haha..

Mei