Saturday, July 01, 2006

Flats

I have settled into my new flat (though it is an over 20 year-old flat, but to me it is new) for coming to a year, since I moved in last September. In fact, I am getting so used to it, being so near the MRT, I left my home heading to work, more than 20 minutes later than the past, sleeping later than usual, hardly take any bus these days, and even when working late in office, I find it much faster to take a train home rather than catching a cab at times.

How fast new habits begin to form as a result of moving to this new place. In fact, I have gotten lazier, not wanting to leave my house unless necessary. In fact, the last time I used to stay in a HDB flat, (HDB flat is Singapore’s public housing) was more than 10 years ago, when I was still attending junior college, and ever since then, I have been staying at my brother’s landed property for more than 10 years. Never was there a need to take a lift to my apartment then, and catching a public transport was not really that easy, though it was a really nice cool walk to walk to the nearest bus-stop in those days. I used to sleep on the 1st or 2nd storey then, and being on a lower level, the sunlight hardly entered the bedroom, keeping the sleeping environment pretty dark and cosy. Yet these days, especially during weekend when I can afford to sleep a bit later than usual, I am usually awoken by the stream of bright sunlight entering my room, being on the 10th level.

I am not complaining, just comparing the huge difference. Now staying near to many amenities has its pros and cons. Snacking becomes almost a very easy task, as I would have to pass by a 24 hours coffee shop before I reach home everyday, with great temptation crying out at me, chicken wings, fish ball soup, rojak, roti prata…. etc, etc…. I am trying very hard by my self effort to shed the extra 2 kg, Lord, help me!

Why am I dwelling on this topic “flats” then? I have been wondering, if I can afford it (which I think I maybe one day), to get a condominium or private property, would I ever want to move into one? This question came to me recently, as I have been designing many such building type for the longest time, perhaps the one building type that I have been constantly designing, despite of the fact I wish there is something new I can design soon, though I still enjoy doing it, finding new ways to look and design housing, breaking new grounds hopefully at the same time. (Come to think of it, about 3 or 4 of such building type that I did have been or are currently being built.) Yet, honestly, I may not want to stay in one, despite of the prestige, the facilities, or even if it is designed by myself. Why, I ponder. Perhaps I still like the simple pleasure of staying in public housing, in a midst of a well established housing estate, where all the facilities are there. I prefer convenience above all. And being pretty busy even now, I doubt there is time to even enjoy the facilities of the condominium, even as of now, I hardly have 2 hours a day to enjoy my TV and some serenity moments in my bedroom… perhaps it is my time management problem that I got to solve first…

Most of all, I do not like to be in debt for too long, having to take half of my lifetime to pay off my housing debt, I see it as a crazy choice to make, just for the sake of staying in a condominium, etc, this is just my thought. I prefer freedom, able to go anywhere I like, not having to worry about keeping a job to pay off my debt. And yes, I hope I didn’t offend anyone in this week’s blog, especially I hope this writing will not jeopardize my housing design career…. Oops, I better run off before I get into any trouble! Ciao!

2 comments:

Cynthia雯 said...

Hi, it's Cynthia fm NCC (formerly in church choir b4, nong nong ago). Never really know U but after reading thru' ur blog, get a glimsp of U. Never know U as an artist. I like d pics of the cross with d lamb. Reminds me to constant look to d Cross. Amen!

dorcas said...

like u, i dun fancy being saddled wif huge housing debts juz for de privileges & prestige. when de Lord has bless me abundantly monetary-wise, till i dun noe wat to do wif my spare cash strewn everywhere, then i'll consider getting a pte condo apt, FULLY paid up. wahahahaa...!!