Friday, October 28, 2005

Mei


Sorry, niece, I am unable to enjoy this wonderful birthday occasion with you this year, yet I hope I am still able to give you a pleasant surprise from Italy, most probably from Rome. I am not sure if I would be able to deliver this birthday wish personally and promptly though. In fact, I am now writing this blog several days before your birthday, hopefully I can find an internet access at my hotel to post it from there. So by the time you read this, I must have cleverly resolved this. Or should I get your sister to help me?

How time flies! Now that you are already working, and even considering of studying again. I am happy for you, in whatever decision you make, as I am so sure that whichever path you embark on, our Papa God will surely take care of you and He has great plan for you, way beyond your imagination.

The above was a sketch I did many years ago, I believe when you were perhaps 6 or 7 years old, and when I possibly was in my secondary school, asking you to be my model, while I practiced my sketching for my fine art class. I discovered this drawing while I was unpacking all my stuff during the moving of house, and what sweet vivid memory it evoked. It was not really a masterpiece, just a piece done by a simple young girl, whose aspiration then was to be an artist. I did a little touched up before I published it, but certainly, there are many flaws still.

This niece is another precious gem of mine, and most certainly the Lord’s. From young, she is quite unlike her older sister. Perhaps with a seemingly “outstanding” older sister in terms of study, she is always under scrutiny and comparison by adults and relatives, and indeed she may seem weaker in studies when compared with her sister, yet in other ways she is no inferior, and it does not take too long for one to discover. She is cheerful, bubbly, and at times almost “rowdy”. She does have the ability to make everyone around her comfortable.

From young, just like her sister, she spent a great deal of time with us, although she was cared for by a nanny. She would often come and stay with us over the weekend. As she grew older, and I grew wiser (I presume), I became her tuition teacher when she was in secondary school, giving her many intensive classes and drilling, preparing her for “O” level. I believe it must have been a frightening episode in her life, some sort of drilling that was, and thank God, she passed pretty well!

I remembered about 2 years ago, when she turned 21, we went backpacking in Shanghai, as part of her birthday wish to fly, and that was when I realized she could really shop, amazing! It was a wonderful experience, though I was a bit of a “fierce” aunt at times, which I know! Do forgive me!

Mei, know that you are no ordinary person, you are His beloved, special and unique in His eyes, and even in mine, and you have many gifts in you, placed there by our beloved Papa God, which you have yet sharpen them and use them to their fullest. Always remember, you are not a face in the crowd, you are special in Him, and even in my eyes. And for today, you are the superstar in my blog!

As promised and requested, I wrote about you in this blog as a birthday gift to you! Cheers and love ya! Blessed birthday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah yi,

Thanks for your blog.. Thanks for publishing it on my birthday though u r away miles away, in Italy.. Thanks for having e drawing of me so many years ago.. Dear all beloved who read this, indeed my aunt is really fierce.. It was indeed an experience to b her model.. In fact this pose wasn't easy.. I had to tilt my head to one side in a certain angle.. of coz I regretted this position.. But it was too late!! 3 mins was all she need to tell us she has started and we were not allowed to change anything except our facial expression.. If I dun rememmber wrongly.. And how long do we have to stay in that position, I forgot! But it was really long.. I nv forgot! haha.. I can't move.. & when I was small back den, I always was curious in asking, "ah yi, which part r u drawing??" And she always answered firmly, "dun move.. U will know when I ccomplete e drawing" Haha..

Thanks for your assurance & I definately has grown out of the insecurity from my academic results.. A really BIG thank you for giving me last min tuittion on my maths & science and of coz yr prayers 4 me during my Os.. It was indeed God's grace tat I had mostly Bs..

Thanks for your constant reminder on our Papa's love for me..

Yi, thanks for EVERYTHING!

Mei